Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Saturday, January 15, 2011

I did my online registration for classes this year ages ago and that's why I forgot what courses I'm taking. So a few weeks back, I checked and apparently I'm doing this paper called Studies of Literary Approaches (I think that's what its called) and this coming semester, we will be doing Jane Eyre as our primary reading material.

I've heard of Jane Eyre, I'm sure everyone has heard of it--it's one of those RM10 books by Penguin that you'll see at MPH, Boarders, etc-- but no one picks it up. Unless you're a literature buff unlike me. Thing is, I LOVE BOOKS and I ADORE literature but I just don't read it. Which later makes me regret of not doing so because now my degree proves to be difficult because of my lack of knowledge regarding them.

I had this preconception about Bronte that her writing is going to be quite similar to Austen's and I dreaded it. I hated doing Austen in my first year and I've always known I'm more of a Shakespeare person.

I wanted to be ahead of class (besides, knowing my coursemates they've probably did Jane Eyre in high school or something) so I bought the book and am now at Chapter 10.

All I have to say is...WOW, I ENJOYED IT! I've never been into the literature kind of romance (I HATE AUSTEN!) but Bronte's Jane Eyre is surprisingly contemporary. From the narration of the novel and how Jane thinks is amazingly likeable. I feel I can relate to her and for once, I can actually enjoy a good piece of literature without feeling like it's homework.

Bronte really reminds me of Meg Cabot (I've grown out of my Cabots by the way D: ) of her time and right now, I just can't wait for Jane to meet the brooding Mr Rochester. At this point, I refuse to dissect the book just yet but to just enjoy what it has to offer. I notice a couple of things but I'll just keep it under wraps till then.

Also, I'm so tempted to look for the BBC version of Jane Eyre after seeing this picture. But I know that's cheating until I've finished reading the book.



PS: After watching this trailer, I am DYING to see this movie.





I say Oscar for Firth! :D

0 comments: