Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Wednesday, March 30, 2011
I managed to catch AVPM that's showing at Playhouse theatre on the day before class starts. It was a Sunday. If you've been reading my blog, I did a post raving about the original AVPM featuring Darren Criss.

What made my trip to Playhouse special was that it was my first time catching a musical and I was alone. I felt so...adventurous. Haha.
A cool brass design on Playhouse




This picture below is pretty much my everyday sight I see everyday from walking to class or going to town.

If you go further down this road, you'll see Otago Uni's library. This place is pretty much the central buzz for everyday student life.








Some pretty cool posters that you'll see around the area.

Me waiting to catch the show

The famous Captain Cook bus. It's just a landmark. I don't think it's operational.

This version of AVPM is entirely fan-made. It's not like the real cast came down to Dunedin because that would create a LOT of buzz. I mean, if Darren Criss were to come that'd be...mind blowing. :D


Minutes before the show starts. I LOVE OLD THEATRES LIKE THIS!

Okay! Now enjoy the pictures of the play. I was taking pictures like a mad woman ok!! It was... embarrassing because I wasn't really paying attention to the story. But hey, I'm a big fan and I can pretty much recite all their lines already!
























The show's pamphlet.

To be honest, I had quite high hopes (don't ask me why because this show is fanmade) for the show but the first few scenes, I was a bit disappointed because they sort of miss the funny cues for the show. This musical is somewhat kiwi-nized but that's alright because it is to fit the Kiwi audience but I'm not a big fan of how the actors rushed through lines. Thus missing some vital funny parts. I don't know if it's NZ humour but I don't like it.

But the show builds up you see. Maybe the actors were a bit nervous so they kinda mess up the cues but it totally rocks after awhile. They seem a lot more comfortable and things are just great (the Hermione in this cant sing though). What strikes me as most interesting is how the characters sound so much like the real AVPM cast. With a slight Kiwi accent of course.

It was a pretty awesome night all by myself and just enjoying...art. (LOL. My attempt to sound...intelligent.) What a way to kick off Semester 1!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there. I have been coming back to this post for a long time because, Crabbe here! (well, a reporter and a death eater too). I was the dork in the blue hat!

I just want to say thanks so much for posting this review! I have very little to go on when I tell people about the show, and we didn't share it online. This is the only evidence that I can find, of the show happening!

I was amused by your take on the show. I can't speak for everyone else, but I was a bit nervous. I am not sure which show you came to, but I was the amateur of the show. I wasn't an actor, besides doing an improv paper at uni. I got into the show because I was (and still am) friends with the girl who played Ginny and I knew Harry. I came in very late to help fill the last few minor roles, along with Goyle (also a friend). I was confident but that first show was scary. By the last show, I was completely comfortable! But, I bet I rushed some of my lines. One night, I even went to say a line and couldn't speak properly and had to start again! Another night I made a mistake and ended up coming in from the wrong side, woops!

Also, I cannot sing! Lucky I was harder to hear!

But I am glad you had a good time, because it was super fun to be a part of!

All the best - Matt/Crabbe/Reporter/Death Eater