Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Sunday, December 22, 2013
It was a huge blur. The past two months was a huge GREAT blur. I went through a myriad of emotions and growing processes just to achieve the level where Teach For Malaysia wanted me to be before the start of the new school year. Remember when I was ranting how I did not fit in in the last post? Well I don't need to fit in. I just needed to be myself and do what I got to do to work alongside these brilliant individuals. Boy were these people brilliant. In fact to put it in a greater sense of the word, these people are inspirational. I can't be more blessed to work with great people like them.

The second half of the Institute comprised of teaching kids at a school holiday program organized by TFM called Kem Skorlah. Each candidate was paired with a collab and mine came in the form of a great being called Sharon Soh. It was real crafty how TFM paired each collab pair because APPARENTLY they matched us based on our personalities. The Training and Selection team observed and analysed us during sessions and went from there. I'm not saying that all collab pairs worked great together because it was supposed to challenge us. They purposely paired us with people of a different gender/cultural background/religion so that we'll learn how to deal with diversity in the workplace really. I was really lucky because Sharon and I just got along SWIMMINGLY. 

I mean look (!), I made her stop working so I can take "cool" pictures of her.

Exhibit A:


Not only we were busy attending lectures during the day, we had to work hard to prepare for the classes we were about to teach at Kem Skorlah. That included a lot of lesson planning, setting classroom culture and preparing materials. 

So this is a brief of how crazy our schedule was:

5.30 AM - Wake Up
6.30 AM - Get on the bus to school
7.00 AM - 12.30 PM - School Time
1.00 PM - 2.30 PM - Reach Selesa & FLEX Time
2.30 PM - 6.00 PM - Lectures
6.00 PM - 7.00 PM - Dinner
8.00 PM - 12.00 AM - Meetings+Lesson Planning+Marking Papers

Repeat that 5 days a week and y'all know why I have lost me some weight.

There was running joke among us that we were so busy that we didn't have time to sit on the can. That's why most of us are constipated and had to resort to medications. I know I did. (TMI?)

At one point during Institute it was so crazy that I was running under autopilot it seemed. All I did was THINK, DO and REFLECT. I had to think and plan my actions, execute them and reflect on them by the end of the day with my collab/IS Group/IS. Repeat that process for a month and VOILA! That's the life of a TFM Candidate for you. Would I recommend you to join TFM? ABSOLUTELY! Can everyone join? NO!

It's tough I tell you. You need the right mindset for it. If you're interested, drop me a message!

So from here on out, it's just pictures of my experience with my kids at United Nations of Ketari (UNK). We decided on the concept because we believe that it is important for our kids to become global citizens. To celebrate diversity and have respect for different point of views. We also want our kids to be socially aware about the issues around them so hence UNK!




















Then the night before the last day of Kem Skorlah, Teach For Malaysia organized a closing dinner for all of us where it became official. We all became Teach For Malaysia Fellows that night and wow it felt..RIGHT. For me at least. I never considered myself truly a Fellow because well...you never know. I might change my mind but...I didn't. I made it. So that night I was pretty much high on excitement over becoming a Fellow.




 My Badass IS Group



My Super Awesome Housemates!


This concludes my update on what I've been up to for the past two months. I'll be starting my job at my new school in less than 2 weeks. Am I nervous? The reality hasn't hit me just yet but I think I should be fine with all the support I know I'll be receiving. I know the blog hasn't been receiving much love lately and to be honest, I can't promise I'll be consistent with this over the next two years. Just to let you know that I'm really active on Instagram so do follow me! :D    IG: @yangsafia

0 comments: