Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Wednesday, March 24, 2010
I had a pretty busy Monday this week and I just finished my last lecture when I got a text from Natasya.

This is how it went...

"So...I was just reading a copy of the latest issue of critic (something i almost never do, mind u) n guess whose name appeared on top of a book review? ;) it was a good 1,2 Congrats!"

By that time, I was already hyperventilating because I thought it was going to be published next week!!! I rushed home and checked my mail and voila!



Name in print

So I bet you guys must be curious...what did I actually write? Of course my work got edited and I was sort of upset because they changed what I wanted to say but it was all part of the process I guess. =_= Here we go~!

Book Review by Yang Safia

Skim brings the reader into the world of Kimberly K. Cameron, a 16 year-old Japanese-Canadian, who lives with her divorced mother and attends an all-girl Catholic school. Oh, yes: Skim, as she's known, is a witch. Rather, she's trying to be one. When a boy kills himself, Skim's world is turned upside down by unlikely events that lead people to believe that she is too suicidal. Matters become complicated as her relationship with her teacher turns awkward when romantic feelings are involved; her friendship with her best friend, Lisa deteriorates; and she discoveres unexpected friendship with a girl from school.

So far, so cliched. But Skim isn't your typical teenage angst graphic novel. Self discovery, suicide and sexual exploration are discussed with surprising sensitivity and finesse. Skim slowly grows and develops, forming her own views on these matters, and the reader can't help but feel like part of this developmental process. It's a moving and inspiration transition she undergoes, from being submissive to being gutsier, with newfound inner strength. Like many good novels, Skim's ending leaves us hanging, leaves us wanting to re-read it again and again, just in case there are hidden messages to be deciphered therein.

But of course, graphic novels are not all plot. The art isn't typically manga-style, as you might expect from the author's and artist's (and main character's) ethnicity, but it's very well done. So, if you find fat novels tedious or simply do not have time for them, but are looking for a short and meaningful read, Skim's a good choice.


Okay, moving to more pressing matters. The drama I'm directing is finally taking shape as the actors have improved immensely! Oooooh, I'm so relieved. I just hope they keep on improving until the actual performance.



Director's notes


Till then, Ciao!

0 comments: