Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Sunday, April 17, 2011
This day taught me something...the power of putting things in perspective. For some of you who know me, this year is a big year for me. I have two major goals for 2011; to get into Honours and direct a kick ass theatre production. Trying to balance these two proved to be a challenge but I'm proud to say that at this point, things have been going well for me.

Now that's not entirely true but I managed to put into perspective you see; things ARE going well.

I had an early class that day. I had to continue the second half of my microteaching during tutorial and it didn't go that well. Not up to my expectation anyway. I felt a bit bummed but I insisted that my day is going to be fine. Besides, I'm meeting the Otago polytech people about my gig as a volunteer tutor later that day. Things are going to be fine, I assured myself.

I had a two hour break so I (actually O_O) stayed at the library to work on my essay draft. It went alright but I still think I need to draft a better version later. I got bored and the microteaching thing still bugs me. So I decided to take some pictures.

If you're an Otago student, you will usually find me at the literature section on the 3rd floor at Central Library. I think the architecture is amazing. So modern. This is a view from my seat btw.


My draft. As you can see, it's not going so well. I barely had any idea what to put in the essay and it is due in a week.


My pretend stressed face



Rows of literature books. My idea of heaven.


If I turn to my right, this is what I see



About 2 hours later, I went to my tutorial. Despite the crappy start of my day I had a very interesting tutorial. In fact, it sort of made my day.

Afterwards I went to meet up Adeline for lunch and basically I poured my heart out about the list of things that are worrying me about my goals. Some parts of the production is killing me with worry and I have so many assignments due before and after Easter. Yeah, a pretty chill talk over lunch. Before I know it, I had to rush to my interview with the Polytech people.

Now this was crazy. I literally ran from town and all the way to Polytech. Despite the cold weather, I was sweating like crazy. And when I got there, straight on the dot...I was greeted with disappointing news. Apparently the lady sent me an email claiming that they had changed the tutorial times to morning. They figured I couldn't make for the job seeing I have to attend classes (which is true). I was really disappointed and the fact that they "emailed" me during class hours on the day itself was stupid. SO pretty much I just ran halfway through Dunedin (hiperbole) and they freaking cancelled on me. At this point, I was still trying to catch my breath.

It took me nearly 20 minutes of running to get to Polytech and I'm out within 3 minutes.

I was disappointed. Frustrated. Worried. Tired. Nervous.

Actually I was really tired of walking so I decided to take a short rest in front of St David. What made me rest was what is engraved on this monument.

Take time. Rest.

Something along those words lah.



That night I did research on my assignment and studied for my upcoming test

That day didn't go very well for me. But I've managed to put things into perspective.

a) Microteaching: It's okay that it didn't go well. It was my first time teaching. SO what the heck, I can't expect things to go super well. If it did, alhamdulillah but I'm still a student. I need to learn. Besides, it's not like I failed.

b) It's okay that I didn't get to do the tutoring job. Maybe it's a way of Allah trying to tell me that I have other things to focus on and maybe tutoring is not the focus now. Besides, I'm busy with theatre and studies.

c) It's okay that I was super tired from the run. At least I managed to get some exercise.

d) Despite my shortcomings, I'm living a great life right now. I'm living in an awesome country, majoring in what I'm passionate about, surrounded by good people, losing weight and get the opportunity to direct a full theatre production!

e) I'm studying hard and it's fine that I have so many things due. I'm working towards Honours year! And so far, my results have been kick ass. I just have to work harder from now on and manage my time properly!

f) It's fine that I'm constantly worried about my production. But I have to take things one at a time. It's normal to have problems. Adat la tu. Besides, you can't rush art. ;P


This bad day turned out to be an excellent day after all. I managed to learn how to put things into perspective!


Later that weekend, I attended one of the choir practices for my production. I managed to get a little snippet of the practice.

They're practising on Anuar Zain's Lelaki Ini intro.



Bismillahirrahmanirahim. Please let things fall into place eventually. Pretty please. :)

0 comments: