Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Friday, December 16, 2011

Time for another book review! Right now I have the opportunity to read tons of books since it's my summer holiday. In this post, I will be reviewing Lauren DeStefano's first novel in her trilogy called Wither. I first saw this book at one of my favourite bookshops in Dunedin. I was struck by its cover which is so pretty and coupled that with an interesting synopsis, I was sold.

Synopsis:

Imagine a world where somebody created a cure for cancer thus produced future generations that are cancer-free. But with a price. Men can live up to 25 while women can only live up to 20. In this world where young girls are kidnapped to become brides for rich men who marry as many as they can afford. Or else suffer poverty or see the human race extinct.

Rhine finds herself kidnapped and chosen to become a bride for Linden, a rich man. From thereon, trapped in a lavish but empty life; Rhine tries to escape with the help of a servant named Gabriel.


Despite a beautiful cover and a kickass synopsis, Wither did not manage to deliver as much as I hope it would be. I find it quite disappointing that DeStefano manages to cover all the basics of a good YA novel; beautiful cover, nice gimmick, interesting material, good plot and believable characters. My problem with it is that I hate HATE the pace of the story. Now that I think about it, it's not exactly slow or too fast but I just get really bored by the time I reach the middle of the book. I don't want to spoil the story for you if you're interested in reading this book but let me just warn you, YOU WILL FEEL LIKE NOTHING HAPPENS FOR QUITE A WHILE. And by the time you reach where something actually happens, you will realize that you're almost done with the book. Yes, granted that Wither is actually a part of a trilogy but how the story develops initially makes me not want to purchase the second book.

The Romance


If you're an avid YA novel reader, just by my synopsis you would have guessed who is Rhine's romantic interest in this novel. The development between Rhine and Gabriel is minimal in Wither. I'm pretty sure this section will be developed in other books but the disappointing bit with this tactic is that you won't be as interested in Gabriel as you should be. His character seems one-dimensional and borderline boring. To be honest, I prefer Linden. He is way more interesting than Gabriel since he has the whole tragic figure going for him.

The Polygamy


The only part I like about Wither is its exploration of the lives of Rhine and the two of Linden's wives. You will be able to see the dynamics between the wives and their husband which is really interesting. In some weird way, they become a family. Obviously the jealousy is there but the camaraderie between Rhine and the other wives is quite endearing.

I had a couple of WTF moments while reading this book, for instance the wedding scene, which I really enjoy.


The Verdict

The concept is great. Dystopic novels are becoming the IT genre in the YA community which is what I'm loving. It is like a breath of fresh air and takes us away from the whole Paranormal scene. But I will not be purchasing the rest of the books in this trilogy because I am simply unamazed by the plot progression in Wither.

Although I might change my mind in the future...who knows.


Rating: 2/5


0 comments: