Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Saturday, June 11, 2011
Honestly I didn't even notice the topless guy on the cover. I hate that they have to put a naked guy there just to reel in the girls. The book deserves more respect.

TIP: Just to avoid spoilers, I would suggest that you refrain from reading other books' synopsis at the back until you're done with the book before it. Does that make sense? I hope so...


Finally. Finally I have found the book that got me this excited since...The Hunger Games. Yes, you heard me. Since The Hunger Games. That's why by the end of this review, YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK!

By the way since this book is that epic, I will avoid spoilers for this post. Because I don't want to ruin it for you, because it's THAT good.

Book lovers of the YA genre must know about the current literary epidemic that has spread among the YA community lately. The Supernatural craze (aka werewolves/vampires and recently angels) has not left us. Publishers are producing supernatural books just for the sake of their content regardless of their quality. Thus explains why I haven't been reading much. Especially when I've become extra critical of the things I read lately.

Now the mortal instruments series (MIS) is not entirely free from the supernatural because that is still the market's selling point at the moment. But I'm just going to say that MIS deserves to stand on its own as a separate entity because it is THAT AWESOME!

City of Bones is everything that I'm looking for in a YA book right now. It's exciting, fast, adventurous, witty and most of all...unpredictable. People can totally argue with me on the last point but hell, Clare is one helluva writer. Her plot twists are constantly hammering the back of my head since the start of page 5. She leads you on like how a totally hot badass would and screws your head by dropping huge bombshells one after the other. City of Bones made me go WTF! more that the amount of time Stephenie Meyer describes how beautiful Edward Cullen is in Twilight.

The romance in City of Bones is quite minimal but I'm sure it is the ultimate factor that will hold readers till the end of this series (There's going to be 6 books in total). You just need to know who Clary (the main heroine) will end up with because the love plot is super forbidden. Props to Clare for going to extreme with the forbidden card. It's super awesome and it just breaks my heart. If I were to be Clary, I wouldn't know how to choose. Okay lah, I'm treading on thin ice here. I should spare you the spoilers and let you guys see for yourself. I love how Clare made it super vague for us readers to figure out who Clary likes.

Just stating a fact: I'm Team Jace no matter what happens. No matter what happens. *shakes head* :/


As I progressed I noticed how witty the dialogues between the characters are. It's not really obvious in the beginning but as you get to know the characters more it gets pretty clear; they are so witty. Their comebacks at each other are certainly right up my alley. It's pure sarcasm combined a touch of wit. There are some references that nerds such as myself can relate to as well like anime and video games.

***
An excerpt of the novel to illustrate how witty the dialogue is:

"The 'hey' thing that guys always do. Like when you saw Jace and Alec, you said 'hey,' and they said 'hey' back. What's wrong with hello?"

..."Hello is girly," he informed her. "Real men are terse. Laconic."

"So the manly you are, the less you say?"

"Right." Simon nodded..."That's why when major badasses greet each other in movies, they don't say anything, they just nod. The nod means, "I am a badass, and I recognize that you, too, are a badass," but they dont say anything because they're Wolverine and Magneto and it would mess up their vibe to explain."

***

If that doesn't make you want to read the book, I don't know what will.


The book is retailed at $22.99 but I got student discount so I got it a bit cheaper. Man, I'm starting to love my University's bookstore. In Malaysia the book should be about RM 57++ but I'm pretty sure there are other versions so prices may vary.

At this point, I'm cutting my weekly budget so I could get all the books tomorrow.


Rating: 5/5

1 comments:

CNC said...

i totally love you blog also haah. i changed my blog name to a more fitting one anyway lol. i'm still keeping my same url though, so in cause there are people who continually view my blog. thanks for the compliment. and i totally love immortal instruments too!!! one of my favorite series.
- the diary of a hopless romantic teenager (attemps of amateur writer) blog author