Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Thursday, December 16, 2010
Pre-Flight Preparations

Okay. You're finally down to the last month before your flight and most of your paperwork are finally done or at the last stages of processing. At this stage, I hope you've found some contacts at your university and start planning with them on how to meet or if you think this guide is not sufficient enough; ask them for advice.

Part of the reason why I love pre-flight preparations so much is because of the shopping. Now, if you're a dude or just a plain shoppping-hater, you can skip this portion of the guide because I am now going to talk about shopping.

Shopping

It is sooooo easy to get overboard with this. You will feel like you need everything. Remember that your baggage weight limit is 23-26kg. The thing with moving out is that you tend to pack away the littlest thing in your room so that your new place will remind you of home. Which I did. That's why my room was empty when I moved to NZ and when I got back, my room got turned into a storeroom. (Note: You want to leave a mark at your home so that your presence will be missed, not to entirely erase it.) I brought along the random-est things like my favourite CDs, 3 handbags, all of my shoes,etc.

This, of course, made travelling so hard.

Before you get whisked away by the shopping tornado, I suggest you make a list of things that YOU REALLY, REALLY, REALLY (REALLY) need. I made a list once but I didn't really think it through. I just wrote down whatever things I thought I needed. Now in NZ, I have a bunch of stuff that crowd my room and useless. You will soon realize that most of the things you own back home might not work at your new place.

So back to the shopping, I was really splurging a lot on clothes for me to take to NZ but when I got there, I couldn't wear a thing because it didn't suit the weather.

Ask your overseas contacts on what to bring especially if the weather is different from your home country.

If you're from the southeast region, your priority must be how to dress during winter.

This is what I suggest you should bring:

(Clothes)

a) 1 down jacket
b) 1 hoodie
c) 2 pairs of jeans
d) 2 tops/shirts
e) 2 pairs of sleeping clothes
f) comfortable shoes

Forget buying stuff like school supplies (ok, this might sound drastic that I'm even mentioning this but I brought a LOT of stuff with me. A LOT!) and extra of everything that you bought because...(take a breather and think for awhile) there is a high chance that you can at the new country.

Refrain from buying that extra sweater because you don't need it!!

Onto the next topic!

It would be best if you could complete whatever tasks or fulfill any promises that you have so that when you leave, you don't leave things hanging.

Also I'm guessing things will be quite busy and hectic since you will find yourself torn between spending time with your family, hanging out with your friends and completing whatever university things you have to settle. Everything will be in a blur because a month can be so short so try to take it all in.

Making Memories

Create as many memories as you can with your family and friends. Take lots of pictures (I prefer videos) because this will become extremely helpful when you're at the new country. I believe it can help with the homesickness that you're going to have to deal when you're there.

Go on a road trip with your friends. Hug your parents and spend time with them. Visit family members. Do the most ordinary thing that you've never done before...like go on a picnic (which I did!).


Saying Goodbyes

You're finally here kid. The day of your flight.

It is either you're flying alone or with a parent. Not to brag but I got the luxury to fly with my whole family. (But there are consequences to this)

I can't really say for sure of what you're going to feel because it depends. But emotions such as fear, excited, nervous,sad,etc would be along the lines to that. As for myself, it was all so confusing that I was...numb. I did cry when we leave the house but I was all smiles at the airport. It was only in the middle of my flight to Australia that I had a nervous breakdown.

*sigh*

It's really depressing to even write about this.

I really don't have a clear guide for this part but to take it one at a time.

I can just imagine how scary it is to fly on your own. If you are doing it this coming year, fear not because I have soooo many friends who survived it. As long as you keep your belongings close and don't trust any strangers, you will be fine. To be honest, I'm about to fly back to NZ for my 2nd year on my own...for the first time. SO you're not alone. :)

Just tell yourself that this is not permanent. You might be all scared at this point and feel like going home but give the new country a chance. Control your emotions and your mind. If you manage to take charge all of that, you will conquer.

Tip: I tell my friends and family , "See you later!" instead of goodbye. It might seem nothing but it helps.


0 comments: