Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Monday, October 10, 2011
I know I'm about 3 years late of watching this movie but I'm glad I finally watched it. I was feeling really swamped with assignments so I sort of decided to chill and watch Yasmin Ahmad films the whole day. God knows how many times I've watched her movies but for some odd reason, I never wanted to watch Muallaf. I admit, when it first came out I was a bit...scared.

Also for the fact that Malaysia banned this film so it wasn't exactly accessible.

Muallaf is a beautiful movie. I don't understand why Malaysia banned it in the first place. Faith is a beautiful thing and I believe this is Yasmin's main message. Despite what religion you believe in, to acquire faith is a blessing. I can see why Muallaf can be seen as controversial but honestly, I don't see the point of people getting worked up over it. (Malaysian critics, you sure your judgements are not clouded from political influences ah?)

Yes, the film shows Islam and Christianity co-exists and things work out. What's so bad about it when it is the truth? I believe as long as each religion respects each other, things will be fine. Did not Islam teach you to respect other religions too?

One reason why I love Muallaf is that it shows the two sides of both religions. The good and bad "Muslims" and "Christians". I love the scene where the Muslim Datuk and Datin (who drink alcohol openly) demanded to have dogs away from them because they are haram. Ironic because alcohol is haram in Islam too. It is little details like this that I have respect for Yasmin because her social criticism is subtle and is done tastefully. It is not too provocative and instead of offending anyone, her works make you think.

Muallaf is not too idealistic in my opinion. This is for you sceptics out there. Co-existence can be done and I believe Malaysia has hope. We have been co-existing for so many years and the difference of our race and religion have never been a barrier. It is when we have perversion in racial and religion practices (+ politics), that's when the problem starts.

Yasmin delivers another message which I absolutely love. Help can come in the most unlikeliest places. There's the scene where the girls who ran away from home due to their abusive father, it is their principal and teacher (who are Christians btw) who helped them. Another scene is where a GRO helped to conceal the heroine's whereabouts and risked her life for this information. Muallaf shows that it does not matter who helped you because when we have love, faith and respect, your background does not matter.

Honestly there's so many things you can get from Muallaf. I believe this is Yasmin's best work. She manages to tackle such a sensitive topic (in Malaysia) and creates a beautiful story that's laden with messages of hope. For the Muslims, Yasmin encourages for us to learn more about Islam in the movie. This is what Muslims in Malaysia need. Nothing good comes out of believing what others say about your own religion.

Muallaf makes me want to be a better Muslim. Honestly. :)


Brian looking curiously as the girls pray at a mosque. Beautiful scene.



Sisterly love


If you haven't watched this movie, GO! Btw, I'm sorry if my writing is really shitty. I'm so juiced out. Just handed in my last essay of the year today so it's time to focus on finals. LEGGO!!

PS: 3 more weeks till HOME!! Malaysia~!!!!

0 comments: