Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Saturday, February 25, 2012
I love to travel and see new places. But the thing I can't stand most is flying. And airports. I just hate going to airports because it will always mean saying goodbye to someone you love. It's interesting how by just saying goodbye, it triggers many thoughts..thoughts that make you realize many things. Especially things that are most important.

I remember sitting on the bag trolley next to my mum as I wait for the gate to open. Actually it was already open but I wanted to prolong the time I have left with my parents. After all it will be another year gone by the time I'll see them.

A lot of things can happen in a year. I kept on thinking.

I watched the wheels rolled as people pushed their trolleys towards the departure gate. And I said to my mum, "You know...people always make it seem how glamorous studying overseas is but it's actually not. It's very hard. It's never easy." She just nodded.





I looked over at my dad, standing nearby with my backpack over his shoulder. That easy smile and relaxed posture. But you can clearly see the sadness in his eyes. He saw me and smiled wider. Asked whether I have all the stuff I need.

I might be going back to NZ for the last time but even if I've lived there for ten years, leaving my family will always be hard. Suddenly the prospects of travelling and seeing my friends don't look so fun anymore. I rather stay at home with my family. Goodbye is a funny creature.

But will I ever avoid goodbyes? No. I believe no one should. I'll look at it this way. If a goodbye is what it takes for you to realize what's important in life then everyone should study/live overseas if they get the chance. It is difficult but it will certainly plant your feet firmly on the ground. I admit that studying overseas have made me become a better person...a better daughter (I'd like to believe). I think of my family a lot more often and I certainly have gained a better appreciation for my parents and siblings. For instance I used to think that getting out of the house as much as I could would make me happier but being overseas, you get to do that ALL the time. I can go out whenever I can with not a worry in the world. But sometimes I miss having people wait for me at home.

With goodbyes, I've gained a new perspective on loving my family...especially my parents. When I'm back home, I realize that everytime I go out I think a lot more on what my parents would think. Would they be worried? Do they know where I am? Sometimes I find myself rushing back home just so I could ease my parents' worries. This might sound too good to be true but I really do care what my parents think about me. I might not show it half the time but their thoughts are the most important. My logic is this; as long as my parents find my actions/decisions acceptable, the world has no right to question me. This is the truth to my belief.

Pictures below are of the time I spent a night at Christchurch Airport




John Green kept me company for the night. Let's just say I cried lots. Review of this book should be up soon...when I get my life truly sorted. :)

0 comments: