Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Sunday, February 26, 2012
O-Week stands for Orientation Week here at Otago University. This usually means crazy parties for the new and returning students. Often you will see a huge influx of parents in town as they helped their children settle down. By night, it will be crazy initiations and parties for them party heads. I've survived through two O-weeks and what they usually consist of are grocery shopping, catch-ups, errands, course approval and sleep. Seeing that this year will be my last O-week, I tried joining in with the Uni festivities.

Monday:

Arrived in Dunedin around lunch time. Showered and straight away went lunch with Alia, Zaini and Eric at Taj Mahal. Went back home to clean my room and took a nap. Woke up to Adeline's call, inviting me for dinner. Went dinner with Alia and Adeline. Later met up with Zaini so that all of us could help Alia move into her new place. Went to Alia's homestay parents's house to load her stuff into the car. SO.MANY.THINGS! Stayed at her place until 9PM-ish when all of us decided to do a little bit of grocery shopping. Went to Countdown and only to realize that Alia has locked herself out of her new place. Alia ended up sleeping at my place for the night. That night skyped with Jie Ning.


Tuesday:

Woke up super early to do course approval. Arrived there at about 8.30AM. Despite what Alia said I managed to get everything done in half an hour. I was extremely pleased with how my ID turned out this time. Went to the library to surf the net while waiting to meet up with Zaini to buy our Shihad tickets. This year we decided to attend one of the Uni's O-week events. The theme this year is called Orientadium because our Uni has a new stadium opened so all events are going to be there. We chose Shihad because it's the only event that seemed less wild for us. Got the tickets and went to town to do some errands. Went to the bank but gave up halfway as the line at the bank was too long. Zaini and I were both hungry so we had brunch at the food court. We parted ways for about an hour and later met up at The Link. Visited all the booths set up for O-week where they gave out freebies. Later Alia picked us up and went to hang at her place. I watched as Zaini acted as her interior decorator while I just laze around. Suffering from backpain to be honest. Then Zaini suggested we should all have dinner at Alia's place and I watched them cook. Ate dinner and left.

Wednesday:
Woke up early yet again to sell my books. Later I went to this University Bookshop (possibly my current favourite bookshop ever!) to place an order on these two babies:



After that I met up with Alia and Adeline at the OMSA booth for Clubs Day. Then we went to K-mart to buy some necessities. Alia bought a lamp for her place which the two of us (me and Adeline) fought against her for she already has a LOT of stuff. Then we realized we talk kinda loud...I guess that happens when you have Secret Club away for 3 months. We later moved on to have a drink at Angus Cafe. For dinner we met up with Eric, Shaz and Yusof. It was a surprise farewell dinner and Intro to Shaz's new BF kinda thing so that was fun.

Thursday:

Pretty chillax day. Spent my whole day doing laundry. Later that night around 9PM, I met up with Hafiz, Alia, Adeline and Sze Ying at Robert Burns Bar for Jazz Night. I've never been there before but I heard the coffee there is good. It's fun to see really really old people play jazz and dance like they were in their 20s. Too cute!

Friday: 
Another chillax day. That night however we went to see Shihad. Had no idea what Shihad is. I just know it's like a concert. It wasn't full at the start. 

Disclaimer: These beautiful pictures are taken by Zaini because he owns a fancy camera. 




Knives at Noon - The band's name as I later found out.




It was getting a bit too crowded by the time this guy (his guitar skillz is epic tho) came out and the girls and I really did not enjoy the music. Just not my genre I guess. There were three bands set to perform that night and I'm guessing Shihad is the final act. By the time the second band rolled out, I left already so...there's my attempt at joining Uni events. Haha.

Saturday:

I decided to dedicate this day as ME day. I went to town and had lunch by myself when I bumped into Calvin and he joined me for lunch. After saying goodbye, I took a nice stroll on George Street and went to Rialto to catch the movie "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Good movie but MAD creepy.


After the movie, I went to Eric's surprise birthday party at his place. A LOT OF PEOPLE!! Pretty much all the Malaysians were there! :)

Sunday:

Had a really nice sleep and treated myself to wake up a bit late. Woke up and went to New World for grocery shopping. Arrived home around Zohor and cooked lunch. Did a bit of housework and laundry and actually studied a bit...for the whole day pretty much. That night went to Jitsu for Adeline's farewell dinner with Sze Ying and Alia. Adeline got a job in Perth so she's moving there for good. That's the funny thing about Qada' and Qadar. You can plan all you want but at the end of the day, it's God's willing to set the best path for you. In the case of Adeline, she's been working hard to find a job overseas and she was about to give up when the job offer came along. The best job offer out of the lot pulak tu! It's good to be a witness to Allah's miracles. :)  All the best Adeline!!!


At Nova for desserts


So this pretty much sums up my O-week. Pretty eventful I must say especially for a non-social like me. Time to hit those books. Wish me luck! 

0 comments: