Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Friday, October 12, 2012
Today was my last day of classes at Otago Uni. I felt it was a proper end considering that my last classes were both of my english papers. Usually I dreaded my 2-hour 10AM lectures but today, I came early just to soak it all in. We still had some finishing up to do so it was like a real everyday lecture with us learning a new poem,etc. The first class was my Contemporary Poetry paper where we learned the craziest poems you'll ever encounter in English literature.



Our last lecture handout came with a fortune cookie. Considering that this is the last class for some of us, she figured we could break the fortune cookie to figure out what our future holds for us. Last time, one of our handouts came with a packet of seeds because she was trying to illustrate how seeds of creativity are planted in poetry. You gotta give her props for the effort!



Last class activity. This is how a bunch of English majors study. We look at pictures of dead poets and try to  determine which actor should play who. I said that Liam Neeson should play Robert Frost while Johnny Depp would make a good Ezra Pound. But seriously, the main focus of this activity is to identify who is who and how their works would influence each other.



Josh! My fellow English-major since first year!




With Dr Sandra Muller! I've known her since my first year and one of the nicest (funniest and craziest) lecturer I've ever known. We bonded during my first year when she helped me improve my writing skills. 


Two hours later, I had my last workshop for Digital Literature. Digital literature was one of those subjects that I was really apprehensive of taking at the start but grew to become my favourite course of all time!! Also its great to know that I got an A for this paper! Honestly I enjoyed the course so much that I'm contemplating of writing a thesis for my Masters in this field. I look forward to each lecture and workshop! 


 Our last workshop focused on coding our final projects and this basically a screenshot (?) of a node I'm linking to my own.


This is a picture of Mat (Teaching Assistant) and Dr Dave Ciccoricco setting up for the workshop. A common sight on Fridays for me. It's weird that this is my last time. They're really nice people and I enjoyed the course because of them! 



Classmates working on the final project. I feel that we bonded as a class and I love our discussions!


After the workshop ended, I basically loitered around the Burns building (the Arts building) and just soaking the last moments I'm walking down these halls. I remember my first time when I entered this hallway in my first year with my dad and I was so...nervous and intimidated. Now I just can't believe it is all over. I'm done. In this hallway I met some of the smartest and kindest people and I'm just like, "Wow I can't believe I'm here for three solid years!". 





This is the sight that will greet you once you exited Burns building through the main door. This is everyday sight for me. The main uni compound where it will be full of people in between periods. Today it was empty because most people are done for the day and it was raining. As dramatic as this sounds, it looks as if the sky was crying for my last day at uni! Haha!



After class I went to meet Alia because I haven't seen her in forever and on the way I passed this French crepe stall that's always set up on Fridays in front of Otago Museum. Figured I should treat myself and got a chocolate crepe! I always think that a crepe is not authentic unless you get a Frenchman to make it for ya! I once tried to converse with this guy with my barely there French and it was exhilarating. Haha! I only know about three sentences in French and a few curse words (Thanks Shira!) but it was nice to see how he got so excited that I knew (?) French! Haha!








Ended my day with a cup of of my usual, Trim Mocha and all is good. 


Honestly I can't believe my time in New Zealand is coming to an end. I think I've been very honest about the difficulty of studying overseas but the reward is so rewarding that it overcompensates for all the hardships that you go through. The experience teaches you important life lessons and I do think that it has made me a stronger and better person. Cheers to the best 3 years of my life! 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like crying after reading your post yang!! It made me feel like it was my last class in Otago uni last year tooo. The crepe and our crazy meet up with sc girls. Miss y'all! - Adeline

Yang Safia said...

Awww i'm kinda glad that this post had that impact on you! muahahaha! yeah i want to savour my last moments here in dunedin. like they always say....YOLO! hahaha