Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Saturday, April 24, 2010
I just got back from a dinner aka Asian Night at Jie Ning's place a few minutes ago. Time right now: 1.44AM. It was good. Real good.

Somehow the whole setting just made me miss my best friends a lot because the conversation that went on between Jie Ning, Tim and I are just so much like what I talk about with my friends only different because now it involved three people from different backgrounds and beliefs. But before I go into that, let me just tell you what we had for dinner!

As you are not aware, I've been surviving on vegetable and seafood since I got here. And now, I am officially sick of fish. I just can't look at it anymore. So a few days ago, I ordered some halal chicken and beef to be delivered to my place but it took two days for it just to arrive! I admit, I wasn't pleased but I got what I wanted and Asian Night can jalan la with halal meat!

The initial menu was nasi lemak but I don't know...I wanted something else so(!) Tim's mom who came down to visit in Auckland actually made ayam percik paste for us and Tim flew to Auckland just to get it (aside from meeting his mom la). Then we made green curry beef and finally udang masak sambal (For the first time ever, I makan with tangan in NZ). For desserts, kek batik (made by yours truly) and green tea (authentic one! by Tim).

The three of us get along really really well but I actually was a bit nervous whether the conversation will actually flow but my god, we just talked and talked until 1AM! So our topics are basically (mind you, it's some pretty serious stuff) politics, Malaysia, Malaysian culture, Yasmin Ahmad, One Malaysia concept, racism, religion (Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Quran, Bible, Dajjal/Antichrist, Allah issue, akhirat), family problems, parents, future plans, our fathers' health (Abah, you're in such big trouble when I skype with you nanti) - all of our dads suffer from sleep apnea-- and finally, sex. (=_=) Don't worry about the last topic though, it was actually the first thing we talked about and then slowly it got into politics so yeah...it's purely innocent.

Huh, I still don't see why I have to explain myself talking about sex when we're all 20-somethings already (OK, it makes me feel weird saying that lol).

Regarding my political views, I am very honest about it and it's cool that somehow Jie Ning and Tim understand it and they are able to see the rationality behind all of it. Okay, our political views are not that much different anyway but I know my parents will not agree. You guys know my views right? (^_~)

And the highlight was we totally bonded over Hindi music (OKAY, HAVE YOU EVER MET A CHINESE GIRL WHO LISTENS TO HINDI MUSIC?!) and Yasmin Ahmad. The three of us cried, YES cried when we watched this.

And one thing I realized after talking to these two was how sad that Muslim kids now, even me that we never really bother to learn the content of the Quran. I only know what I learn from my past religion classes but never the Quran itself. I feel jealous somehow that Jie Ning and Tim go to Bible studies and learn about it. Like, why am I not doing the same thing with Quran? I'm a Muslim but why am I...? >_<

So basically Ma, if you're reading this. If it's possible right, can you send me a copy of Quran with translation because I feel like studying the content while reciting it?

And also Sepet and Muallaf DVD? Both by Yasmin Ahmad.

Off to bed now, ciao!

0 comments: