Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Marbecks is one of my favourite shops ever in Dunedin! I can never not pop in if I'm going to town. The store combines two of my favourite things, cafes and bookshops! I don't know whether Marbecks is just a Dunedin thing or it's actually a franchise. I've never seen it in other NZ cities though. So it could be just a Dunedin thing.

There are two entrances, one to the cafe and the other to the book store section. Nothing too complex, they're literally next to each other. :P


Cafe Entrance


Bookstore Entrance


 I'll be honest, I don't usually hang out at Marbecks' cafe but I just like the option of having a cafe inside the bookshop. I've only been there like three times. And boy...I was not happy. But more on that later. Let's just savour the awesome interior first!




These colourful ukeleles fascinates me!




I've never tried any of the food here. There's not a lot of options for me and besides, they don't interest me much? Usually when I go to a cafe, I just go for the sake of the coffee.




You can listen to music, read and eat at the same time. Multi-tasking right thurr!




Okay! Ramble time. I don't understand why it is so hard to  BEND.THE.MENU.TO.FIT.THE.CUSTOMER'S.TASTE!
On two occasions, I asked for Iced Coffee. Now, I know how iced coffees are usually served in Dunedin. It's like super sweet with ice-cream and all that fattening jazz. It was a hot day and I just wanted my usual coffee but just with ice. And they freaking won't do it for me! It was really frustrating. When it first happened it was quite busy so I let it go. But on my recent trip it was not busy at all and they refused! I was like, "What the hell!! I'm the customer and I'm actually saving you a lot of work!" Well I didn't exactly say it out load but I glared. Yeah, some glaring action went down on my part. 

Anyways the coffee is not the best. I think largely due to their beans of choice. They use this brand called "SUPREME" and let me just tell you, I'm a big fan of "ALLPRESS" so yeah...biasness or preference whatever you call it, the bottom line is...not the best coffee.

But you know what, thank goodness the ambiance makes up for it.






So if you just turn to the left side of the store, you'll see the actual bookstore. I LOOOOOOOOVE books at Marbecks. I always get this feeling that they have a lot of uncommon books and they carry cool book versions that you can't find in normal bookstores. I don't really buy books here because I don't get student discount but as you can see from the pictures, there was a clearance sale going on so this would be the time to get some books! (I didn't get any by the way =_=) Usually I just browse around and get ideas on what's out there.






Marbecks also carry a lot of fandom items like offical band tees and movie figurines. So you can see why I love this shop. It's almost like my nerd heaven.



Albums anyone?



After awhile the staff got pretty suspicious why I was taking pictures (I don't blame them). I was slightly offended why they would even question me (I don't blame them but I just don't expect from Marbecks' staff to act like this is all) but then I saw a sign in between the shelves that they recently had somebody stole a bunch of their books. Sooo...after finding that out, I pretty much brushed it away. Overall they're really helpful and friendly.




See what I mean? You can't find cool books like this in commercial bookstores!



My favourite shelf, the Young Adult section!




See what I mean? How beautiful is the cover?!




SO yeah...I burst out laughing when I saw this on the shelf. As if reading it wasn't bad enough, I guess people would want to listen to it too. Everyone may I present to you...Fifty Shades of Grey Audiobook. Unabridged. Enjoy~ By the way I'm doing a review on this book soon!





PS: I'm sorry this blog has been all about reviews lately. It's just I need to catch up with all the reviews I'm doing and I haven't been socializing enough to actually have any interesting stuff to report in. Hope this would suffice for now. Ta!

0 comments: