Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Saturday, June 16, 2012
The Capping Show is a long standing tradition at the University of Otago. It's an annual show where it is a 100% student production but greatly acknowledged in Dunedin. It showcases the best and worst of Scarfie life here and well known for its crude humour. Most definitely not a family show but if you want to get a taste of what Scarfie (that's what us Otago students call ourselves) life is all about, Capping Show is where it's at.

My friends have been inviting me to go with them ever since my first year but I never truly bothered because well, I was very caught up with directing Malam Malaysia and OMSA. But now seeing it IS my final year, might as well experience it. That night Alia and I took a break from our assignments, had dinner together and went to catch the show.

The only thing I had to complain was that we got the ABSOLUTE worst seats ever! 

From what I've noticed the Capping Show has a different theme every year. Last year was Alice in Wonderland while this year is the Apocalypse. 

One of the main (and long standing tradition) acts is these choir of men called The Sextet where they sing a medley of current pop songs but inject it with very crude humour. Often funny but there are times when their jokes make you cringe. Later I found out they have a female counter part called The Sexytets (haha!) and I love their performance especially because it was so cheeky and they basically turned all your favourite Disney songs to...umm...how do I put this delicately...less innocent?


The Sextets sang right in front of me! I only took a short video because I had to focus and refrain from dying of laughter. 



From what I can understand the Capping Show pretty much makes fun of every major news and pop culture that's very big in that year. For 2012, they parodied everything from Kony to One Direction (their version is called One Erection! I was laughing so hard when these "normal" looking Kiwi blokes dressed up their popstar counterparts and started dancing to their version of That's What Makes You Beautiful).

The Capping Show can also be a high cultural-context show meaning that it is very Kiwi or Scarfie that it's quite hard to get the jokes if you're not here long enough. I heard many International students complain that they couldn't really understand the jokes so it was very boring for them. That is one of the reasons why I put off from going to this show until my final year.



This is the closing number where all the cast and crew sang some song la. I couldn't really understand where the song is from but they made it entertaining!

For me going to the Capping Show was a nice experience that I for surely can't get in Malaysia. Also it made me somewhat proud to be a Scarfie. Who knows, thirty years from now maybe I could visit my alma mater and catch their god-knows 736-th show.

PS: I FOUND THIS YEAR'S PERFORMANCE ON YOUTUBE! WARNING: FOR MATURE AUDIENCES!

Just so you guys could get a taste what's the show like. Keep an open mind!



0 comments: