Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Tuesday, June 19, 2012


Synopsis by Goodreads.com:

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

Thoughts:

I would just like to get this fact out before you start reading my review so that you can emulate your own thoughts against/for my opinions on this book. I was at a great disadvantage when I started reading Insurgent. It has been almost seven months when I last read Divergent so my memory of the plot is blurry. While I still remember the main points of the plot, I can't remember the details in between which makes it really difficult for me to be really immersed in Insurgent because I just can't remember! I even had trouble remembering who's who. So that's why I feel this review is potentially one-dimensional because I might not get my facts straight. :( Note: My Divergent copy is in Malaysia.

Insurgent really takes me away from the world that I fell in love with in Divergent. And I can understand why even though it frustrates me a great deal. I wanted to scream at Roth while applaud for her skills at the same time. In this book, we are met with self-conflicting characters that struggle to cope with this war among the factions. In between the divided allegiances and secret agendas, I felt somewhat suffocated with all the events happening in the book. And I believe this is similar to what Tris is going through herself; in between her grief and guilt and to actually make big decisions regarding this war. 

The big portion of Insurgent deals with Tris trying to discover the truth to all this matter. Her relationship with Tobias is crumbling due to the pressures around them while she struggles to be sane after the death of her parents and Will. At a point, I do feel like skipping this section of the book because it is so frustrating with me not remembering the important details. I was really forcing myself to relive the excitement I felt when reading Divergent but now that I think about, how can you when there's a war going on? Also I was looking for those profound moments in the book which I got in Divergent. I was close to disregard Insurgent as a failure, seeing that I have an enormous expectation of it and because it is a middle book of a trilogy. And if you're a seasoned reader you would know the problem that authors face with middle books. 

However Insurgent does have its high points. You can really see the effort Roth goes through in exploring the different sides of the war. I believe this is the key element in Insurgent because it reveals to us that there is always a different side to a story. Most people are comfortable in taking a side, often a side that they are familiar with. Through Tris, Roth explores this multi-faceted war which I guess can cause some people to be slightly annoyed with Tris. It is after all easier to conform to a stronger team than searching for the truth.

I also love how Insurgent shows the pros and cons of each faction. For instance, how the Dauntless are really brave and yet impulsive. The Candors, honest but selfish. Tris efforts to fight for the innocent Erudites. This brings up an important reminder to us readers that with what is going on in our world today, it is important to understand different perspectives. But I also believe there is one true way to solve things. 

Caution: SPOILERS

On Tris and Tobias:

For the most part, I understand with what Tris is going through. The guilt and the grief can really mess up one's judgement. Despite her recklessness that caused the friction with Tobias, I personally would do the same thing as her. But I do believe this "recklessness" should have a limit. To me, Tris started to get annoying when she lied to Tobias one last time (during the Factionless/Dauntless war against Erudite). To me at that point after all she had gone through with him, I do believe she should have just come clean. Yes I do expect Tobias to be furious with her decision but at least, he knows. (At this point it is safe to say that Tris has some serious hero complex. Which is EXTREMELY ANNOYING RIGHT NOW!)  Because I rather have them fight side-by-side rather than be on opposing teams. 

On the other hand, I kind of understand why Tris did what she did. Tobias hasn't been completely open about his plans either. Basically he's being a complete MAN about it. Like the whole I'll-tell-you-the-full-story-when-things-are-happening-because-that's-when-the-plan-is-ready when in fact, he should have told her from point A. 


As you can probably tell at this point, my feelings for Insurgent is quite mixed. I'm still quite unsure whether to be satisfied with the book or not. I know for a fact that I LOVED the ending because it really just prepares you for the next book. That's one thing about Roth, there are moments when I'm just completely frustrated with the book but her cliffhangers are freaking deadly. She just kept you coming for more despite these frustrations. 

I have a few favourite scenes in Insurgent:

a) Tris and Tobias's trial with the Candors.

b) Eric's execution with the Dauntless.

c) Marlene, Hect and the other girl's simulation threat at the Dauntless area.

d) Any scenes that involves Tris's Dauntless friends, joking around. URIAH AND ZEKE, I LOVE YOU!!  Oh and an Erudite, FERNANDO!!! (Why must you die?) These scenes provide the best comic relief to a serious book.

e) Caleb's betrayal. I did not expect this. I thought it was Marcus.


The Verdict: 4 out of 5

Obsession Rating: 3.5 out of 5 

Note: I am planning to reread Divergent and Insurgent before the final book comes out. I'm really frustrated with this Insurgent review because I'm not satisfied with my reading of the book due to my inability to remember the details in Divergent. I AM REALLY FRUSTRATED WITH MYSELF!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haiya girl..u dont read Ms Roth's blog is it? She had actually cautioned her readers..knowing most ppl wont remember Divergent details. She actually wrote a summary of Divergent on her blog..prior to Insurgent release,so that ppl dont get confuse.

Personally, I just read Divergent and Insurgent back to back. No problem what..just an additional 2 days. And the experience is much better..hehe

-Jinbotak

Yang Safia said...

first off, i dun keep track of roth's blog. n what u said is true, i should've at least read the summary. im goin to attempt another book next n surely not to repeat the sme mistake of not knowing the details.

btw, i said i left my copy of divergent bck home wat.