Pages

Labels

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Yang Safia On Thursday, July 1, 2010
About an hour ago, I just returned from the NZ premiere of Eclipse. I have to say, I was disappointed yet again but what the heck, it's Twilight. I used to be a Twihard (and it wasn't that much long ago) but the movies pretty much killed me. And now that I've started majoring in English, I can't help but become highly critical over things and that's good. That means I'm actually learning stuff but it does change my tastes. I admit, I'm shallow; I love pop culture as much as the next teen-bopper but just now, being in the cinema, I couldn't muster the enthusiasm I used to feel back in my Twihard days. Jie Ning said that we're not 14 year olds anymore (I was giggly with Jie En[14] but of course, I couldn't really sighed at everything Edward or Jacob utter). I did go, "Come on, that's just bull. A guy will never do that." and yes, I was being rational. And a part me felt like I wasn't being fair to the genre of the book. It is fantasy(pretty much) but I was starting to worry about the kind of message that it is sending to young girls. Yes, it upholds abstinence and marriage but it does not mean that you have to give up one's entire life for just a man. That is a bit worrying.

Okay about me being rational and older and stuff, somebody explains to me why the old ladies behind me are giggly and having fun when I'm being such a sour puss? :( Why don't I find it oh-super-hot and oh-super-romantic like those old ladies? And during the premiere, I was surprised that Eclipse is rated M and we had to sneak Jie En in coz she's underage. Haha. But it was really surprising to see a lot of families and I dunno, I felt a bit embarrassed. I don't think Twilight movies are meant to be watched with parents. It's just not...parents-appropriate. Kekekeke.

I had a few problems with a couple of the scenes. First off: It's rated M for a reason and I totally second my aunt's decision to prevent my 8-year old Edward loving cousin, Natasya from watching Eclipse. So not appropriate! Maybe if she's 16 ok la. Second, there's a particular scene where Bella, oh-so-naturally says "Edward is my life" to her dad.

FREEZE!

a) That is just wrong. You DONT say that to parents.
b) Lame! Super corny ok! Who says that? No matter how hot the man is. Okay, I would probably say that in my head but come on, save your parents la. Don't do that to them!
c) JUST.PLAIN.WRONG!

Spoiler(!)

Did anyone get the new Steph Meyer book? The short life of Bree Tanner? Almost got it but figured it's not worth my $20. It seemed that they managed to incorporate the whole Bree thing in Eclipse. It was...meh. I read the ending of the book and it seemed pretty worthless to me. So yeah, save your RM45. Save that and buy Mockingjay or something. That's way better. :)

Aside from my Eclipse rant, I had a lovely dinner (before the movie) with Jie Ning's family, including her mum. SUCH A NICE LADY!!! Thanks for the dinner Aunty! I will totally visit you (with Tim in tow) to Cheras at the end of the year!

*gasp* I'm going to Auckland tomorrow! Pray I'll have a safe trip and I'll see you in 5 days~!

0 comments: